our insane move


The past week has literally been insane. It's a long story, but here's what happened. 

So as I've been saying for the past few weeks, our neighbors who live below us are big smokers. And about a month ago, we decided that the smell was so strong that it had become a safety issue for our family, especially as we get ready to bring our daughter home in just a few months weeks. So we talked to our apartment managers and they said we could move into a different apartment in our same building that had the exact same floor plan. We were happy with that and were excited that it would be such a simple move! 

So throughout the month of June, we started packing up our apartment for our move scheduled on the 7th of July. Every week or so I would drive up to our complex and look at the balcony of the apartment we were moving into to see if the current residents were making progress on their move since we were told they would move out on June 30th. Well, June 30th rolled around and while we were certainly packed and ready to move into our new apartment, the current residents definitely did not look like they were moving that day. Their balcony looked exactly the same as it did a month earlier and I hadn't seen any moving trucks. I was super concerned so we asked the management if we were still moving into that same apartment and it turned out the current residents had called and said they were not moving out at all. When the management was going to tell us that, I have no idea.

So that left us with an entirely packed up apartment and nowhere to move to. We continued to work with our complex to see if there were any other apartments available. They told us there was one was in the process of being remodeled and it would be done for our July 7th move-in date. They gave us a really nice discount and covered parking and all that stuff to entice us to sign a lease for that apartment. Which we did.

As we were signing the lease, I had a very strong impression that I needed to leave the office with Zach so we could talk about it some more and decide if this was the best decision for us or not. But I didn't do that. I just continued to sign the lease with a really bad feeling in my gut. Throughout the next day, I continued to pack up our home with still a very bad feeling about what we had done. I didn't like that we hadn't seen what our new apartment looked like before signing the lease. We had also been told that lots of work would be done to that particular building over the following months and I didn't like the idea of it being super loud with construction and maintenance men potentially having to come in and out of our apartment all the time all while trying to take care of a newborn. And in all honesty, I just didn't trust the management anymore. And I didn't trust that our apartment would even be ready on July 7th. (Note to self: always listen to your promptings right away)

When Zach got home from work, I told him all of my concerns. He told me that he had been feeling bad about our decision all day too and hadn't known why until I explained all of these things to him. We didn't know what to do at that point. But about 10 minutes after our conversation a maintenance guy showed up to do a little work on our current place and he told us that starting on Monday and throughout the following week, the entire building we were moving into would be a crazy construction zone. All of the nearest parking to the building would be blocked off, which would make moving in on that Tuesday a complete nightmare. Of course, the managers had failed to mention all of this to us. After hearing that, Zach looked at me and said, "I'm done with this place."

So he went down to the front office and told them he wanted to cancel the lease we had just signed and I started looking at other apartments in the area. But, of course, because of the holiday weekend, none of the managers were in the office at the time so we couldn't get the official okay that we could cancel our lease. And because the office would be closed on the 4th, we knew we probably wouldn't hear anything until Sunday. But still we went and looked at an apartment that I had found that was in our price range about 5 minutes from our current place that we had always thought looked nice and we both LOVED it. It had everything we needed and wanted. But we didn't want to sign a new lease without knowing for sure that we could break the other one we had just signed (ugh what a mess.)

So the 4th of July came, and while we tried to make it fun, we were just super stressed. We knew we would be moving, but we didn't know where! And we felt really good about the apartment we had looked at, but we didn't know if it would still be available by the time we heard back from our current managers. (Not to mention, I had also received some not so great news about our baby girl a few days earlier too.) So that day, we decided to drive down to San Antonio to walk around the temple grounds to get some peace and hopefully some inspiration. I'm so glad we did that. It really helped me avoid even more panic attacks than I was already having!

On Sunday morning, we went to church, but came home right after sacrament meeting so we could work out this mess ASAP. We talked to one of the managers about our situation and she got the okay for us to break the lease we had signed without any additional fees or charges (hooray!!). So we immediately went over to the other complex to look at the apartment we liked again. We had both prayed about it a lot and we felt very good about this new place, so we applied for the apartment that day. Thankfully we were approved very quickly and we signed the lease on Monday and got the keys that night!

Finally, Tuesday, July 7th, came and my parents and Jordan drove over from Houston to help us move in to the new place. The move was quick and easy with their help. Everything had worked out.

I honestly can't believe that only a little over a week ago, we still thought we were moving into that apartment in our same building. Now that we're here in our new place, I can't imagine living anywhere else right now. We love it so much and already feel so at home. I can't wait to bring our daughter home and watch her grow here. Pictures of our new place to come!!

So even though it was a completely insane nightmare for a minute there, I'm really grateful that Zach and I had this experience. I don't feel like we've had a time like this in a while where we've really had to rely on the Lord so much. We definitely had to kind of just put everything in His hands and just accept His will for us and I feel so much closer to Him because of it. It's hard in the moment, but I think we should always be grateful for our trials because then we can always look back on those experiences as times of growth and development of our testimonies. I'm so grateful to my Heavenly Father for working everything out for us and providing us with a great new home to start our family of three in.

"If we have faith in Jesus Christ, the hardest as well as the easiest times in life can be a blessing."
- Henry B. Eyring -

2 comments:

  1. This is insane!! What awful managers!! Sheesh!! I'm glad everything has worked out for the best and cannot WAIT to see pictures of your new apartment though & hope you & lil baby girl are doing alright!! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the worst!! But I'm seriously obsessed with our new place and I think everything worked out for the best. And everything's okay with our baby! She's just a petite little girl. It was all kind of one big false alarm haha.

      Delete