i just like it



Do you ever stop and ask yourself if you really like something? or do you just like it because everyone else does? Sometimes I feel like it's really easy to lose sight of who you are and what you really enjoy because we're bombarded with so many ideas and things on an everyday basis telling us what we should do, like, and be. I was feeling this way today and so I decided to do a little experiment: 

I created a new pinterest board and quickly went through the most popular pins and pinned only the things that really jumped out to me. The things I really liked. There was very little thinking involved. Some things I pinned because I simply liked the content of the image. Some things I just liked the color or the texture. Other things I liked because of the feeling I got when looking at the image. When I decided I'd pinned enough things (almost 150 pins..), I went through my board and found the commonalities between the images. I realized quite a few things about myself. Some things I knew already. Some things surprised me.


1 // I really like neutral colors like black, brown, and cream.

2 // I love comfy, flowy clothes. I honestly mostly wear men's t-shirts haha. 

3 // I like landscape photography. This I've known for a long time. Did you know I actually wanted to get into photography back in junior high, but when I talked to a school counselor about my "career" plans (who has career plans at 13 years old???) he told me there was no money in photography and it would be a bad idea. Now I look at all of my photography friends and I envy them and wish I had stuck with it. But hey, there's still time! Hopefully I'll be getting a nice camera in the near future and I'll be able to make my dream a reality. 

4 // I like plants. I bought a few succulents a few months ago and I just love how they look and they seem to still be alive as far as I know... any tips for taking care of succulents? I really want to get more plants around the house. I just love the green color and the life they bring to a space. 

5 // I like simplicity, but not too much simplicity. I've always been an organized clutter kind of person. I love me some random knick-knacks. But overall, everything has its proper place and I like keeping a color scheme simple and neutral (see #1). 

6 // I like the pacific northwest. This was a bit of a surprise since I've never really lived there. I mean I was born in Portland and lived there till I was two, but I don't really remember it. And I've only ever visited that region a handful of times in my life. But I just love the look and feel of the evergreen trees and the ocean. And I've always liked the rain. Maybe it just reminds me of my family's and my roots. I doubt Zach and I will ever end up there, but I'd probably enjoy it if we did! 


Anyways, I feel like I got to know myself and what I like a lot better. And now you know me a bit better now too! It was a fun experiment and it helped me to forget about what's trendy or popular for once and just focus on what I really enjoy. If you'd like to check out my full pinterest board, click here


No comments:

Post a Comment