Grandma Jo


Many of you know that my grandmother, JoAnn Haws, passed away a few weeks ago. It was so sudden and completely unexpected. There had never been a doubt in my mind that my grandma was just always going to be around. She was always busy, always energetic, always smiling, always serving. Although I didn't get to see her as much as I would have liked since I never lived near her, I knew that she loved me and cared about me very much and was always excited to see me. I never imagined that she could just be gone. I thought the days of visiting her in Utah would never end. She had such a timeless quality to her that it seemed like nothing had changed every time I went to her house to see her and my grandpa. It was always like I was still ten years old and she was still the same grandma. Never changing. I can't believe that I won't be seeing her again in this life. I will miss her and her example of strength and service so much.

Zach and I had the opportunity to come together with family and friends this past weekend for her funeral down in Salt Lake. The spirit was overwhelmingly strong as we mourned together for the loss of our sweet grandmother, mother, sister, and friend. Even Zach, who only knew Grandma for a short time, was overcome by the spirit of deep love that was coursing throughout the congregation. I was able to learn so many amazing things about my grandmother this weekend. What I began to appreciate the most from her extraordinary life was her ambition and her "can do" attitude. She truly believed that she could do anything! And she did do so many wonderful things throughout her life! From sewing to cooking, from acting to earning her master's degree, from winning the Miss Nampa Idaho pageant to raising eight children, she was truly an accomplished woman! 

There have been many times throughout my life when I have felt lost, confused, and weak. There have been many times when I have felt as though something is too hard for me to do. There have been many times when I have wanted to give up on a goal or let go of a desire simply because I don't feel good enough. If there is one thing that I have learned from my Grandma Jo and that I can feel coursing through me right now, probably because her spirit is near and cheering me on, it's that I can do anything. The words of Elder Jeffrey R. Holland come to mind:

"Don’t give up...Don’t you quit. You keep walking. You keep trying. There is help and happiness ahead—a lot of it...You keep your chin up. It will be all right in the end. Trust God and believe in good things to come."

My grandmother knew who she was. She knew that she was a daughter of a Heavenly Father who was and is the ultimate creator and master of the universe. She knew that by having faith and trust in God,  she could literally do anything. I will try to be more like her throughout my life. I will try to power through my discouragement and despair. I will work hard to accomplish all that I need and want to do. I will lift up others and set an example of service and love. I'm so grateful for her example of confidence that I have desperately needed in my life. I'm so grateful for the plan of salvation and for the knowledge I have of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm so grateful to know that I will see Grandma again. I know that she is not far. The veil is so thin. And although, I will miss seeing her smiling face, I am grateful to have another angel in heaven watching over me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment