individual worth project // part 2

Photo by Kat Grabowski

Value Experience Two
Learn about the importance of patriarchal blessings
by studying about them in True to the Faith and recent conference talks.
Find out why they are given and who can give them.
Discuss with a parent or Church leader how to prepare to receive
a patriarchal blessing and how it can teach you of your worth and identity
and be a guide throughout your life.
If you have not received your blessing, prepare to receive it.


A patriarchal blessing is a special piece of revelation received specifically for you through a priesthood holder known as a patriarch. It can be used as a guide to help you on your life's journey back to our Heavenly Father. I received my patriarchal blessing when I was fifteen years old. I remember I was so excited to see what the Lord had in store for me personally and I felt so loved and at peace after receiving it. I still feel that love when I read my patriarchal blessing today.

I used to read my blessing at least once a week. While in high school and college I had so many difficult decisions to make: where to go to college, what to major in, whether or not to go on a mission, who I should marry, etc. My patriarchal blessing was so important and played a key role in making those decisions. But now that I'm done with school, I'm married, and I have a baby, I find that in general the decisions I have to make right now are less grand and life-altering, and more simple day-to-day decisions for how I want to live my life:

Which parenting philosophy should I follow? What hobby do I want to pursue? How can I be a better wife and mother? How can I create a more loving and peaceful environment in my home?

All of these decisions are important to me. And I know that my patriarchal blessing holds words and ideas and inspiration that can help me to make these decisions. But for some reason I just forget about it a lot of the time.

I went back and read my blessing this week for this value experience and it did, once again, help me to make these decisions. And I was reminded of how much I used to rely on it, not only as a guide, but as a comfort. There are so many wonderful messages in my patriarchal blessing that help me to remember my individual worth. It is so clear to me when I read it that my Heavenly Father knows me, loves me so much, and that He truly has a plan specifically for me. And it makes me feel so relieved to know that I have a purpose and that I am loved.

So, new goal: read my patriarchal blessing at least once a week from now on! If there's anything out there that can help me to feel more confident and more special and of worth it's reading that simple piece of paper.


If you would like to learn more about patriarchal blessings, click HERE and HERE.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I'm just getting caught up on your blog and I'm loving these posts. What a great idea to redo Personal Progress. I haven't been very good at looking at my Patriarchal Blessing lately either. Thanks for the uplift and reminder. You're such a great example to me. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete