christmas 2015


This year Zach and I spent Christmas with my parents and my brother, Jordan, and his fiancée, Nelly. It was definitely a lot quieter than our crazy Thanksgiving! We arrived about a week before Christmas so that Zach, Jordan, and I could go see Star Wars together while my Mom babysat Finley. We LOVED it. Zach has already seen it twice and thinks it's probably his favorite Star Wars film now!

Unfortunately, Zach had to work most of the days leading up to Christmas so we spent the majority of the week playing games and watching lots of Jeopardy, Survivor, and Limitless haha. On Wednesday afternoon Nelly flew in from New Jersey and that night we made Gingerbread houses and watched Home Alone. Jordan and Nelly built one Gingerbread house together and I did one on my own since Zach is a party pooper and refuses to do stuff like that haha. I think mine turned out pretty good!



On Christmas Eve we all went to Target to pick out some gifts for the Secret Santa box we give to a family in need every year. I've always loved this tradition. Each one of us is assigned to buy a present for a person in the family we've chosen that year. Then we wrap the presents and add a few things like DVD's, blankets, and Christmas treats and put it all in a box and deliver it anonymously on their doorstep that night. I stayed home with Finley while the others went to deliver the box, but it sounds like we were almost caught this year! Haha oh well. The rest of the day involved lots of cooking in preparation for our Christmas Eve feast and then reading Luke 2 and watch The Nativity Story. Before Finley went to bed we opened our Christmas Eve presents--new ornaments for the adults (my parents gave a really cute baby carriage ornament to represent our first year as parents) and new pajamas for Finley. My mom found these adorable Star Wars Christmas pj's that Zach and I were/are obsessed with!


Finally it was Christmas morning. We were woken up bright and early by Finley as usual and she was acting so cute. I think she knew it wasn't just any other morning!


We had a great time opening presents with the family. Finley was asleep for half of it, but it was fun to see her reactions to everything she was getting while she was awake. We were all very blessed with a lot of fun stuff. My favorite gifts were probably my Instax Mini camera from my parents, fun new kitchen appliances from my in-laws, and the new illustrated Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone book from Zach. Finley loves her new Sophie the Giraffe toy and her new play mat. 


The next day, my mom, Nelly, and I went to get pedicures and out to lunch. It was my first time getting a pedicure! Can you believe that? I'm such a ticklish person, I always thought I'd never be able to have a pedicure, but I finally decided to be brave and try it out. I definitely giggled a bit during part of it, but for the most part it was really nice! Later that evening Jordan and Nelly and Zach and I went on a double date miniature golfing and out to dinner. I had a fun time getting to know Nelly a bit better. I've met her a few times before this trip, but this was by far the most amount of time I've ever spent with her. She is super sweet and I can tell her and my brother are really happy together. We can't wait for her to be apart of our family officially this year. 

On Sunday we all went to church and then Nelly flew back to New Jersey. We were worried her flight would be cancelled because there were tornado warnings and floodings and all sorts of crazy weather going on! But she eventually got out fine. We originally planned to leave Monday, the 28th, but decided to stay one extra day. On Tuesday we met Zach's aunt and uncle for lunch on our way out, which was fun. Finley was really cute with them--especially Zach's uncle Byron! She smiled and cooed at him a ton. What a little flirt haha. We are going to miss them while they are on their mission in Palmyra, New York this year! 

Needless to say, this trip was super fun and chill just like we like. We had a wonderful time with family and Finley was spoiled rotten by her Grandma and Grandpa Haws! She's going to be so bored with just Zach and I to hang out with all the time! 

We hope you all have had a Merry Christmas and that you have a Happy New Year! We are excited to see what 2016 has in store for our little family! 

No comments:

Post a Comment