We Spent Our Thanksgiving...

This year Zach and I had the opportunity to go to my parent's house in Houston for Thanksgiving. It was especially nice because we only live three hours away now! I decided to come on Monday so I could help my mom get everything ready for the big Turkey Day, thinking Zach wouldn't be able to come until Wednesday night because of work. But miraculously, he was able to work just a half day from home on Wednesday, so he decided to come on Tuesday night! We also had my brother, Jordan, who lives in Houston as well, and my sister, Britney, and her family come all the way from Florida for the weekend! It was definitely a full house! 

We spent our Thanksgiving...




// At the ER // On Tuesday night, my dad and Jordan picked up and put together a brand new basketball hoop. When it came time to screw in the rim and backboard, they enlisted Zach's and my help. Zach's job was to keep the rim in place while my dad and Jordan lifted the backboard. My job was to put the screws in place. Because both the rim and backboard were very heavy, it was a difficult job to get everything aligned in order to put the screws in. Once we got the first two out of four screws in, we thought that it might be able to hold for a bit so Zach let go of the rim. But we had forgotten to put the washers in at the back so the rim fell down. Unfortunately, it fell on my head. We guessed that the rim weighed about 25-30 pounds or so, so it hurt real bad. I immediately went into shock, especially when I realized I was bleeding a lot. I decided I wanted to go to the ER to make sure everything was okay and that I didn't need stitches or anything. So we rushed to the hospital and got all checked out. While we were there, we realized that Zach's head had been hit too! The little stinker hadn't said a word! So we insisted that he get checked out too. In the end, my injury went a bit deeper than Zach's, but neither of us needed staples or stitches. Whew! Thankfully, the week could only get better from there!






// Eating, of course! // My parents always serve a beautiful Thanksgiving meal with all the traditional stuff. Everything turned out amazing (especially the yams and the "Haws" rolls! Mmmmm....) and we had a wonderful time sitting around the table, discussing what we are grateful for this year, and generally enjoying one another's company. One funny thing that happened at dinner was when my 10-year-old nephew, Stephen, tried deviled eggs for the first time. At first he just took little nibbles, testing it out, but then Jordan told him to just stuff the whole thing in his mouth, so he did. It didn't take more than a few seconds for Stephen to start gagging and spitting the whole thing out haha. We all thought he was going to be sick! Thankfully he wasn't, but we still all felt bad for the kid. Funny. 







// Spending time with family // A few weeks ago I realized I hadn't seen Britney's husband, Jeremy, or their kids since Zach's and my wedding a year ago last August! That was just way too long. The kids, Stephen (10), Emily (7), Sam (4), and Thomas (10 mo.) have all grown up sooooo much and are so fun to be around. I especially loved having some quality girl time with Emily, who I feel like has always been my little buddy. On Friday, the boys went golfing in the morning, while us girls went out to lunch and did a little Black Friday shopping. We also took Emily to a place called "Sweet n' Sassy," which is a salon for little girls. She got her nails painted a perfect Christmas-y red color and had sparkles put in her hair and hearts painted on her cheek! It made me wish I was a little girl again! Later that night, the boys went to a Rockets game. Unfortunately, the Rockets lost, but I think they still had fun! 

On Saturday morning, Zach and I visited his aunt and uncle who also live in Houston, which was fun. We were able to have breakfast with them and their family and play some games (that I totally sucked at haha). The rest of the day was spent finishing off left overs, watching football, and playing games. The kids really got into the game "Heads Up!" It was so fun! 

Everyone left on Sunday morning except Zach and I. We decided to go to church with my parents because my dad was speaking. Then Zach left that night and I left Monday morning. It was an amazing week and I'm so glad that we live so close to family. Here's to the Holiday Season now in full swing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment