Christmas Vacation

Looks like I've got some major updating to do!! As many of you know, Zach and I traveled down to Houston, Texas to spend the holidays with my side of the family. We got back to Rexburg a few days ago, but alas, we have had no internet until now! I'll do my best to catch everyone up on our fabulous Christmas vacation!

Our first travel day down to Houston was.. well.. terrible!! Our flights were delayed, we missed connections, but miraculously we were able to get to Houston in the wee hours of the night.. but our luggage did not. We went about a day and a half without our luggage, which wasn't too bad, but still, we were very happy to get all of our stuff!

On Christmas Eve, mom made the Haws family traditional Christmas Eve dinner of honey baked ham, cheesy potatoe casserole, steamed veggies, etc. Then we all went to the store, picked out some presents for a family in need, and then dropped a box full of the presents and other goodies on their doorstep. I've always loved doing this ever since I was a little kid. It really helps me to think outside myself and to understand the Christmas spirit of giving. Then we came home, read Luke chapter 2 of the Bible, and opened our Christmas jammies (Zach and I were matchers!!) and our new Christmas ornaments.


Christmas day, we opened presents in the morning. My favorite present this year would have to be my new purse from Zachary! Then we drove about an hour away to visit Zach's aunt and uncle and also some of his cousins. Zach actually spent a few summers with them in Houston so he knows the area pretty well! We had a beautiful Christmas dinner there of pork, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, stuffing, etc.

The days after Christmas were mostly spent shopping and eating! But here are some other highlights:
We played A LOT of Phase 10.
Zach, my dad, and my brother went golfing and to a Houston Rockets game.
My mom and I went to a baby shower for an old friend of mine! 
One day we all went down to the beach at Galveston and ate at Bubba Gump's!





Zach and I saw his aunt and uncle again and went out to lunch to a yummy Mexican restaurant!

My mom and I saw Frozen... it was amazing and flawless (thank you Disney!!)

It was a wonderful trip and we're both happy and sad to be back home. Coming home brought us some more fun though! When we first walked up to our apartment, there was a huge mound of packages on our doorstep with presents from Zach's family! We got to FaceTime with them as we opened all of the presents, which was so much fun and it felt like a second Christmas! It was great to spend a little time with the Athans side of the family who we definitely missed during the holiday season this year.

Now a new year has begun and also a new (and final!!) semester for us here at BYU-Idaho. We're definitely excited to see what 2014 has in store for the two of us! And you can be sure that we'll keep you all in the know via this blog of our lovely and crazy life together.



No comments:

Post a Comment